Thursday, January 6, 2011

Aaahh, Breathing Room

Now that I've pretty much decided I'm going to do my own thing and choose my own journey with my YA novel, Kings & Queens, I suddenly realized I have more room. Yay!

You see, with any YA that gets into the big house, word count needs to be super minimal. About 60,000 is average. So, I worked extremely hard and slashed many a darlings to get that word count down from 106 g's to a less jaw-dropping 88. How awesome of me, right?

Well, now that I'm not going traditional with this one, it gives me more creative control, which means suit coats won't be telling me to cut this or that and more of my glorious words will be able to grace the eyes and ears of lucky readers. Sweet.

So, I'm gonna keep the terse version, just in case, ya know, an agent miraculously shows interest, but I'll also create a beefed-up version that's more compatible with its narrative-rich sequel, Sapphire Reign.

I'm only talking a thousand or two words here, but still, the extra room fills me with so much tickly delightful I can't stand it.

So, back to editing I go. This time to give a bit more fullness to my story.

And I'm still slowly but surely getting Dropping Like Flies and Online Girl closer to The End, DLF more than the latter.

~ Signing off and sending out cyber hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment