Friday, January 30, 2009

What's Your Question???

What are you writing? If you’re going long, do you know you need a question? Is one churning in your mind, itching to get out and take readers on a curvy rollercoaster ride or a linear stroll? Does your work promise to deliver? Are you conscious of that thing you will eventually answer? Why should we read? Why should we care? Are you able to pull us from A to Z? Have you figured out your game plan yet? What will you use to entice and entrap us?

Can you imagine books without questions? How would fiction exist without them? Can the band of Rebels defeat the Evil Empire? Is the hobbit capable of destroying the ring? Will Odysseys ever make it home? Can a vampire and a mere mortal be together and enjoy their love? Will he escape from his prison? Who is the killer? Where is the treasure? See what I mean about questions?

Where will you take me? And how? Will you bring me to tears, leave me in stitches or both? Should I cancel my manicure? Can you keep me riveted and make it impossible for me to put the book down? Why not seize me by building up the importance of that question and withholding the answer until the end? Have you figured out what it is yet? If you don’t have one, can you thread one in? Don’t you want me to care and invest and follow along? So why not discover your question? Don't you know that's your hook? Why not bait and reel readers in with something that keeps them turning pages? Why not start with a question?

What's your question?

~ Signing off and sending out cyber hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment